Sometimes, after a long day of work, the last thing Clare and I want to do is spend an hour crafting the perfect Paleo dinner. This steak and salad combination is a great way to have dinner ready in less than 20 minutes and have it feel like a gourmet meal.
A 12-inch, well-seasoned cast-iron pan. I use this one from Lodge.
Pepper Grinder/Mortar & Pestle
- 2 Rib-Eye Steaks
- ½ tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ tablespoon sea salt
- Olive Oil
- I like to leave the steak on the counter for about 30 minutes prior to cooking. It seems that this allows the steak to cook more evenly
Turn on the Broiler. When it is warm put the skillet on the top rack and let it heat up for about 5 – 7 minutes. It may start to smoke, open a window and turn on a fan.
While the skillet is heating up salt and pepper the steak, gently pressing it into the meat. Then, drizzle the steaks with olive oil. Flip the steaks over and repeat.
- Pull the skillet out of the broiler (it will be extraordinarily hot; use a thick pot holder) and put the steaks on it.
- Return the skillet to the top rack of the broiler and set the timer for 4-5 mins.
- Check the steak. If it is at 125 degrees it is ready (rare, the only way it should be eaten).
- Let the steak sit for about 3 to 4 minutes before cutting it.
Clare prepared a spinach salad ahead of time so maybe I’ll be able to get her on here to write about that. Enjoy!